Saturday, January 21, 2012

Project Coriander!

New Project!!

Managed to locate the shop "Ban Lee Huat Seed" on 32 North Canal Road and went to explore it last Friday. Old school Chinese towkay shop with containers and containers and packets and packets of .....yes, seeds. Nope, no points for guessing.

Pak choy, cabbage, lettuce, bell peppers, parsley, long beans, cucumber, tomato, chilli...all sorts of vegetable and fruit seeds.

I asked the uncle (who happened to be dressed in a retro white singlet and blue-striped pajama cotton pants complete with a white-coloured drawstring) if he could sell me some coriander seeds. He asked where I was planting them and I said at home, in a pot. He shuffled to a cabinet, took out a container and a small little plastic bag and filled the bag up with coriander seeds.

Hundreds of seeds I think, perhaps weighing a grand total of....err.....10grams?

And he charged me a grand total of.......$1. So cheap!! Lol....

Anyway, I planted some seeds last Sunday. I've never grown anything from seeds before, right from scratch. I didn't really know how it would turn out. I just threw some seeds into a small pot of soil and watered them faithfully everyday.

And....

Guess what I discovered earlier tonight?

Yay!! I saw two small little seedlings!! :) Just breaking out from the surface of the topsoil.

Lol, never knew it would bring me so much joy just to see two little seedlings haha. Anyway, I'm hoping that more seedlings will start to sprout from the 10-over seeds that I threw into that pot. I hope the seedlings survive too!

Gonna give Ally some seeds tomorrow when I see her! Lol, so she can start her own plant experiments. Whee!

No comments: