Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Survival?

Do you feel sad when you see old people cleaning toilets, clearing tables, sweeping the floor, picking up rubbish from the roadsides....?

Do you feel awkward that they are clearing up after you?

Do you feel bad when they mop the floor and you step on it a second later because you have no where else to step on?

It's tough...when you're in your 50s, 60s, 70s.
To still be standing and doing menial jobs...To be fighting to earn a living.
And to be earning perhaps a pittance for the many hours you're on your feet.

Sigh.

SG's society has evolved to be like this over the years...

It's such a different scene in Thailand.
The cleaners are young and very much able.

I cannot speak though for other countries or even our dear neighbour.
I did not manage to observe this...or perhaps I have forgotten if this phenomenon is also prevalent in these places...

But.

Sigh.

No comments: